Friday 6 March 2015

Meet Shervann

Shervann was referred to the ReachOut Club aged 9 with the comment “Short temper, needs to work on tolerance”. He stayed involved until he was 16 and with ReachOut’s support Shervann excelled, growing up to be an outstanding young man of good character, and also a leader within his peer group and an example to the younger generation.

"It’s easy to get caught up in the wrong crowd in Hackney. Where I live if I take 5 steps left I’m in one gang area, if I take 5 steps right I’m in another gang area, if I take 5 steps forward I’m in another. Stoke Newington alone has 4 gangs. And you see people dealing drugs so much it actually seems normal in a way, like it’s not illegal. You walk past and don’t even notice anymore.
Shervann (fourth from left) at the ReachOut Summer Project in 2006.
When I was 15 I was stabbed by someone I didn’t even know. It was a shock, and I was lucky there was no permanent damage, but being stabbed wasn’t that unusual. Gangs are a major thing in Hackney and even if you’re not in one, it’s easy to get caught in the cross fire. 
But Hackney is not as bad as they make it seem on TV. When I’m at uni I miss it. Overall I had a good time growing up there.
In science class at the Summer Project in 2008.
Before ReachOut I was really confident, borderline arrogant. I knew I was smart and it made me feel I could do what I wanted, regardless of how it affected me or others. I felt that even if I talked or didn’t listen I’d still get a good grade. Turns out I was wrong and I didn’t do as well as predicted that year.

I was a very outgoing child but I had a temper that flared often and easily, mostly over silly things. This got me into a few fights in primary school and I ended up excluded for a few days in year 4. That’s probably why I was put forward for ReachOut the following year.

At ReachOut I had my own mentor. He was a university student from South London. I got on well with him because he seemed like me, but older, like an older brother. I remember he used to dance a lot. He helped me with literacy, which I found more challenging than maths, but he also talked to me about what I might want to do in life. That was the first time anyone had ever done that.
Volunteering in the tuck shop at the Summer Project in 2009.
When I left primary school I started attending the ReachOut Academy, in the beginning because I liked playing football, but then I made a lot of friends there. It was a friendly environment and I liked the mentors; every day they added something to my life, talking about university, jobs, what they’ve done, where they’ve gone, where they’ve come from.
The mentors also helped me realise you could succeed in school without being a geek. They 110% changed my attitude towards school which allowed me to get better grades. My mentor made me think about the future. Everything affects your future so you’ve got to start thinking about consequences. I guess ReachOut would call that good judgement and staying power.

Now I'm at Birmingham University in my second year, studying economics. I’m actually living with another former ReachOut young person who I’m still good friends with. I’m hoping to become an investment banker, starting in London but eventually working abroad, in America and Asia (Tokyo or Hong Kong), to see contrasting cultures. I didn’t get to travel much when I was younger, but I’ve met others at uni who have travelled lots so I’d like to see the world too.
At a the Macquarie workshop that lead to his current career choice in 2010.
Looking back being able to talk to people about my future and opportunities like university and careers was the best thing about ReachOut for me. If I hadn’t gone to a ReachOut workshop at Macquarie Bank when I was 15 I probably wouldn’t want to be a banker now. No-one else has ever spoken to me about that stuff so I do wonder where I’d be now if it wasn’t for ReachOut."

Shervann's case study is featured in our recently released Impact Report for 2013/14. Click here to read the report or to hear what our inspirational speakers had to say about ReachOut at the Launch event click here.
Catching up recently with the London Director Peter Blackwell.

No comments:

Post a Comment