Thursday 26 February 2015

Volunteer Spotlight: Jake Flavell


As part of student volunteering week we are asking some of our volunteers to tell us about their experience with ReachOut. Jake has been a volunteer with ReachOut for three years. He has worked on all three of our Club, Academy and Junior Mentors programmes. He is currently a volunteer on The Barlow High School year 8 Academy project.


Why I began volunteering with ReachOut

Honestly, I had too much free time in my first year and felt like doing something worthwhile as I realised after leaving university the possibility of having a regular 9-to-5 would leave little time to pursue other ventures. I chose ReachOut because it seemed to be something with multiple benefits. It seemed like I would benefit the children I worked with, it would contribute and look impressive on my CV and would also benefit my interpersonal skills and improve me as a person.


What effect do I think I had on the young people while volunteering with ReachOut?

I would like to think I had a positive effect on the people I worked with. I noticed reactions from some when it was made clear to them that myself and other mentors were taking time out of their day to be there for free. They seemed to react positively to our very presence in that sense. 

I also felt a different perspective on the academic work was beneficial to their general academic abilities. For instance, little tricks and methods to do fractions or the mindset they should try to enter when trying to write persuasively. If they were having problems with academia, a different way of approaching the problem they hadn’t experienced in school really helped them understand.



How did ReachOut help me? How do I feel I developed while I volunteered with ReachOut and what skills did I gain? 

ReachOut has definitely made me a better communicator. Having to explain fractions to a 10 year old is a lot more difficult than it sounds and if you can do that, communicating on a professional level to an adult (which is invaluable in any business) will seem easy.


Has ReachOut changed my views or perspective on anything?

Yes. It has changed my perspective on education. It has made me recognise and appreciate the work teachers and carers do on a daily basis.​









No comments:

Post a Comment