Tuesday 7 June 2016

Volunteer Spotlight - James Newman

James Newman works in Equity Trade Support at UBS. He volunteers as a mentor on a ReachOut Academy project in Hackney, London.

I’ve always been interested in volunteering but lost contact with the groups and people I had worked with as I grew older, wiser and more boring! I came across ReachOut on an internal newsletter at work. ReachOut really stood out to me as I’m interested in helping youngsters and wanted to commit to volunteering for an extended period of time.

The ReachOut Academy project I chose involves an hour of classroom based activities, normally English or Maths, followed by an hour of sports for the children. The one-to-one time with my mentee every week presented a great chance to get to know him, see how I could help him to improve academically or behaviourally, and see his improvement over time. My mentee was originally very shy so I had to work hard to build a level of trust between us. As a result of this trust, he opened up and started enjoying the sessions more which was very rewarding.

The best part about ReachOut for me was getting out of the office and focusing on something completely different to what I do on a day to day basis. The children can be challenging but they can also be hilarious (normally when they're not meant to be!) and helping them with their academics, be it algebra or spelling, was something I found hugely rewarding. Taking me out of my comfort zone also helped develop my communication skills, really teaching me to think on my feet and to get my points across in different, varying and interesting ways.

ReachOut is a weekly commitment which is a huge reason why it is so rewarding as you get to see your mentee and those in your group develop over time. It can be a challenge to balance this with work commitments, but I was open with my manager and he was very supportive of my volunteering. Also, just getting out of the work environment and throwing myself into something like ReachOut was a great help in some of the busiest times. Giving my brain the chance to concentrate on something else entirely actually benefitted me when I went back to work!

I would recommend ReachOut to anyone looking to volunteer as I have enjoyed it immensely. The combination of a tried and tested method which works, the passion of the staff who run it, the children themselves and the other volunteer mentors I met made it a great experience. The more involved and committed I became the more I got from volunteering and I am sure this would be the case for you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment