Thursday 1 October 2015

Volunteer Spotlight: Will Wright

Will Wright studied Mathematics at University of Manchester and volunteered as a mentor during his third year. Here’s what he has to say about his time with ReachOut:

How did you hear about ReachOut?
I heard about ReachOut through friends who had just started the program.

What made you want to volunteer with ReachOut?
My friends told me about ReachOut and it seemed like a great opportunity to positively impact young people and help them using my experiences of high school. As a student I felt I had a lot of spare time and I wanted to use this to do something constructive. Also, I thought it would help me build my own skills in leadership, communication and team working skills which would in turn help me get a job after graduating.

What did you usually do on a ReachOut project?
During the first hour we would help the kids with school work in general as well as participating in group activities. As most of them were in their final year we would also help them with applying to college and revising for tests. As a mathematics student I would normally work with them on maths and due to the 1 on 1 nature, it was a really useful way to explain to them concepts they were struggling with. After this we would either play football or cards with the kids. This was a great way to get to know the kids better, have a laugh and build a relationship with them.

Can you tell me a little bit about a young person you worked with.
I worked with Ben, who although sometimes could be quite hard work, was extremely funny and by the end of the project we got on very well. He was very smart but easily distracted and the main challenge was to keep him concentrated on his own work and not someone else’s.

How did you help him?
Like most teenagers he did not enjoy maths but had a natural understanding of it. I think working on a 1 to 1 level was a really useful way to explain the more complicated parts and deal with anything he did not understand. When given a leadership role in a group he really excelled and this opportunity made him appreciate the importance of working as a member of a team.

What’s the best thing about volunteering with ReachOut?
Working with both the children and the volunteers was a lot of fun and always a laugh. It was a really nice change from the usual student life and a great opportunity to interact with non-students.

How did you fit ReachOut in around your university work?
ReachOut was very easy to fit around university work as it was at the same time each week and it helped me learn to manage my time as I had to also revise and work my part time job at a bar.

What do you do now?
I am a statistical programmer for a CRO (Contract Research Organisation).

Did mentoring with ReachOut help you pursue the job/career you have at the moment?
Definitely, it gave me a great way to prove my skills in leadership as well as providing great anecdotes for my interview. It showed how I could manage time and was willing to take my own time to help others.

Do you have a message for university students thinking about volunteering with ReachOut?
It was a unique experience and you will never have a boring moment there. It provides an opportunity to give something back as well as develop your own personal skills. It’s a great way to show employers that you are a well-rounded individual who can adapt to different situations and deal with all kinds people from all walks of life with a positive manner.



No comments:

Post a Comment