Friday 31 October 2014

Volunteer Spotlight: Rachel Arnold

Why I began volunteering with ReachOut
For a while, I had felt like I wanted to go into teaching after university so my first motivation for volunteering was to get some experience working with children. I also knew that I occasionally needed to break out of university life!

What effect do I think I had on the young people while volunteering with ReachOut?
It was important to me that I was there as someone who would listen to the mentees and be genuinely interested in their lives. I was always there for them and I think that helped build their confidence and self-belief week by week. I’m certain I made them laugh and smile, whether it was through showing them it’s okay to dance silly or telling cringe-worthy jokes.

I know I had a positive effect purely based on two examples. The first occurred while my year nine mentee and I just went through his 6 times table, over and over. It might sound repetitive but we made it into a fast competition and without a doubt, it was the best feeling when he came back the next week and still knew them! The second was a session on the use of brackets in English with my year four mentee; on the spot I developed some very over exaggerated movements where my mentee had to fill in the gaps and throw the imagined information around the room. She had the biggest smile for two hours and I guarantee I did too!

How did ReachOut help me? How do I feel I developed while I volunteered with ReachOut and what skills did I gain? 
It might sound over-dramatic but ReachOut gave my life a new purpose. In the past, I’ve struggled with all sorts of issues, particularly in my first year of university, and in all honesty I may not still be studying here if I hadn't agreed to mentor. I had to be there for someone else for a few hours a week, every week, and it kept me going.

I have loved mentoring with ReachOut because I enjoy a challenge and like having to think creatively. It has helped me to develop most of the key skills needed to be a teacher, or for any other career for that matter! My professionalism, team working skills, communication and confidence have improved, as well as my own character traits.

Has ReachOut changed my views or perspective on anything?

Yes, I realised I enjoy the buzz of doing something for nothing more than I thought possible. One thing I can guarantee is that the ReachOut team and mentees will be just as supportive as you can be for them and if you want to help make a real difference to the lives of children of all ages, ReachOut is definitely for you!




No comments:

Post a Comment