Tuesday 30 April 2013

'The Only Way is UP for the boys of Brook!'

The final day of the ReachOut Club at Brook Community Primary School ended tumultuously, with reflections from both mentors and mentees and of course some dodgeball! It seems like yesterday that I was a ReachOut Club mentor at De Beauvoir Primary School, about to embark on my journey as a Project Leader. One year on, I have completed my ReachOut Club project at Brook and it has been one of my most satisfying and intriguing challenges.

At my first session as Project Leader I was very nervous. Nervous because I did not know how the mentees would behave and I had doubts about my own ability. The kids were over-excited (something you should always expect on a Friday afternoon at Brook) and diverse. However, over the coming weeks, relationships flourished during one-to-one mentoring which allowed mentors to be role models and confidants to their mentees.


I must admit it was weird to be on the other side of the fence, watching the volunteers have their own mentee and being able to see them develop. Watching the progress of all the mentees (and the mentors, although they may deny it) gave a sense of satisfaction and I planned ahead to be able to help each and every individual to be the best that they could be. This may sound clichéd but pushing every child to reach their potential is something that is indicative of what ReachOut is about. Evidence of this came from their work folders, which showed how insightful and creative some of the mentees were with their English work and how astonishing their maths skills were for ten year olds.

Academic work aside, enthusiasm for sport exuded from each and every mentee. Their love of football made games fiercely competitive, which lead to some lively but also thoughtful discussions about good sportsmanship.



Dealing with altercations was one of the hardest parts of being a Project Leader; reasoning with youngsters is a hard job! By using the 'reflect, repair, reconnect' technique, this was made much easier and allowed the youngsters to reflect on their own actions, and then how to control and rectify their behaviour it if it happened again.

As for the volunteer mentors, it goes without saying that without them we would not have a project. I would like to say again what a great job the mentors at Brook did, which made my life so much easier when managing the project. To be honest, managing a group of volunteers, some of whom were older than you, was hard. I was worried that I would be undermined but there was no such problem. Communication was key; I had to underline some expectations of the volunteers to make my life easier and not let the mentees down. This was paramount. The face of a child when you inform them that their mentor is absent is something you do not want to see as it makes them feel unwanted. I was able to rely on some of the more confident mentors to carry out activities whilst I was dealing with other issues which gave me comfort that some people could be stepping into this role the coming academic year! 

It has been an overwhelming experience with highs that definitely outweigh the lows. Personally, it has made me a more confident, well-rounded and understanding individual, whilst furthering my ability when dealing with mentees and volunteers. I use the word mentees frequently; this is because I do not want to call them children or kids as they have grown and progressed into the young people that will be heading into year seven the coming academic year. For the young people here, I am sure they will stick to what they have learnt and carry it into later life.

Belief is a funny thing. I sometimes don't believe my impact has been as great as others have made out, just like I don't believe volunteers see the true impact that they make on the mentees. One thing is for sure though – projects like these are a worthwhile cause.

Jeremy Tang






No comments:

Post a Comment