Friday 29 July 2011

The ReachOut! Festival 2011

This summer I thought I'd try my hand at fund-raising for ReachOut!, but not being very athletic the 10k run was out of the question, and with the festival spirit of summer I attempted to organise my own in aid of ReachOut!

Originally I'd planned it to be a larger scale event with music and performances, but everyone was so busy with travelling and work – it all became very hard to organise!

Still, all was not lost as the weekend took form as a few family and friends for a relaxed camping weekend in the middle of nowhere! Money was raised through 'ticket sales' (online donations) from those who braved the countryside and also through the generous donations of those who unfortunately could not make it, but who knew the ReachOut! cause was one close to my heart.

The weather was not on our side (downpour for most of the weekend) but this didn't dampen the festival-goers' spirits. Bonfires were lit, tents were put up and wellies were worn!

Thanks to many people's incredible generosity, over £600 was raised in total, and the city-dwellers learned all about waders and how to start a good bonfire – win win!

My advice to anyone trying to organise a festival fund-raising event would be that it is very time-consuming and often stressful! But if you have the determination it is possible, and is a fantastic idea to raise money in a way that everyone can enjoy.

I wonder where the ReachOut! Festival will travel to in 2012?






By Harriet (Chipie) Melesi

(An amazing achievement Chipie! Thanks from all at ReachOut!)

No comments:

Post a Comment